When you imagine your dream job, what comes to mind? A boss who respects your ideas and values your input? Coworkers who are collegial and kind? Work that is challenging and aligns with your passions? Now, what about where you work? Wouldn’t it be awesome to not have a soulless commute into the workplace each and every day, but rather to work from wherever you wanted, when you wanted, as it fit in with the needs of your day?
That’s what having work flexibility is like. Whether you fancy a flexible or freelance job, a telecommuting or job sharing position, having the ability to earn a paycheck without paying an emotional price for it is what more and more job seekers are looking for. That might explain why about 90% of the U.S. workforce would like to work remotely at least some of the time, according to 1MFWF supporter Global Workplace Analytics.
If you’re ready to make 2018 your year for flexibility, freedom—and happiness, here are some tips to make that a reality.
Strategize your search.
Big box job search sites might yield tons of job listings, but do you really have the time to wade through postings for jobs that aren’t flexible? To save time (and a whole lot of frustration), using a site such as FlexJobs means that you can find handscreened, legitimate flexible jobs—sans job scams.
Talk to your boss.
You might have a job that you really like—but not your daily commute. If that’s the case, you might not have to launch a new job search. Think carefully about your job to see what parts of your position could be done remotely, and then schedule a meeting with your boss. You might be able to work from home a day or two to start, until your boss gets used to you working remotely. Turning your 9-5 job into a flexible job can be one of the easiest ways to attain work flexibility. For more help, check out 1MFWF’s downloadable step-by-step guide on How to Ask for Work Flexibility.
Join the movement.
If you’re already a reader of 1 Million for Work Flexibility, then you know that flexible work options can put you on the fast track for work-life balance. So consider officially joining the movement for everyone to have the option to work flexibly. You can also sign up to receive our monthly newsletter which is chock full of fun factoids, tips on how to attain flexible work, and other pertinent information about the advancement of flex in the workplace.
Jump start your year of flex: Enter the 1MFWF contest below
Now is a great time to think about what we want from the year ahead. This whole month of January, 1MFWF is running a contest to see what type of flex would best fit your life. For a chance to win, answer this question by leaving a comment below:
What kind of work flex do you need in 2018?
- Three randomly chosen commenters will each win a free 30-day membership to FlexJobs with access to almost 34,000 jobs from 4,600 companies.
- One winner will also win a free audiobook of Katrina Alcorn’s powerful and brave memoir, MAXED OUT: American Moms on the Brink. (Hear more from Katrina by watching our recent webinar: Juggling Work and Family as a New Parent: More Joy, Less Stress).
REQUIRED TO ENTER
- Your first name, at least
- Your email address (this will be kept private)
- A respectful answer to “What kind of work flex do you need in 2018?” (if your answer is off-topic, it won’t be approved)
- A maximum of one entry per person
- Please note that by entering our contest, you will be added to the 1 Million for Work Flexibility count and will receive occasional news, updates, and information related to work flexibility (you can unsubscribe at any time).
HOW WE PICK A WINNER
- Winner will be chosen by a random drawing after February 1.
- You’ll be notified by email if you win (so make sure you leave a valid email address in the comments below!).
DEADLINE TO ENTER
Wednesday, January 31 at 11:59 p.m. ET
photo credit: BigStockPhoto.com